My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://mycrazyadoption.org
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, March 27, 2009

I walked with *Angels* in Ethiopia (Fistula Hospital)

There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about our time spent at one of the most beautiful places on earth. Fistula Hospital. I happened to hear about this amazing place before our trip to Ethiopia. The video I watched online broke my heart, but I knew I couldn't leave Addis without a seeing the hospital with my own eyes. It was on the top of my list. I begged our coordinator to make sure we had the opportunity to visit. Was it even possible for visitors to walk in their gates?

The day we met Zoie Senait, was the day scheduled for a tour of Fistula Hospital. I was ecstatic to meet the staff and witness first hand the miracles of healing.
We drove through the gates & I flashed my camera before a guard told us...no photographs.



Once inside the gates, everything changed. Trees. Flowers. Beauty. I had no idea what to expect, but after a short introduction by our guide, we started walking to the heart & soul of this heaven on earth. I noticed immediately a very tiny woman sitting on a bench wrapped in a colorful shawl. I smiled. She smiled. I kissed her hand and she kissed my hand. Her face was covered with stunning elegant markings. They were a sign of importance, beauty of her people, her tribe. She covered my face with kisses (very Ethiopian) and held my hand as we started to walk. Shyly, she said to me three words in perfect English, "You show love."
You show love. I will never forget this angel that had a life time of pain and healing in her eyes. Simple words with powerful meaning.

I will never know her story, but in that precious moment, she gave me a gift.
You show love. Today, I
want to slow down. Today, I want to take the time to notice the tiny things that need my attention. Today, I want to show love. If I had just smiled and walked on by, I would have missed out on an incredible opportunity. Two women, different pain, healing touch, grace from the Lord, journey of hope.

Father God, how great is the love You have lavished on me, that I should be called a child of God! And that is what I am! (1 John 3:1)

If you are interested in learning more about Fistual Hospital, please watch this incredible journey of healing in A Walk To Beautiful:






To order a DVD of the
movie click here.

4 comments:

  1. Kari,

    I have loved reading your posts lately. Not that I don't always love reading them but I can tell God is speaking to your heart right now through them and it makes me smile :)

    Love you lots!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- that is amazing that you got to go there! I so badly wanted to, but I heard somewhere that they don't allow visitors- DARN!!! The documentary is so, so amazing. I actually bought 2 copies and am giving the 2nd to a family I know from Ethiopia here in the city I live in- they are looking for opportunities to help their country and I highly recommend this one! They have such an amazing program going on, at least from what I see in the video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing Kari, your words go through me and touch my heart, when I can see and feel yours in your writing. Thank you for sharing.....and we all know you are one of the best at "showing love". Thank you for that!!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. We so wanted to visit the Fistula hospital but didn't get the opportunity. Your experience sounds like one that will stay with you always. A very eloquent post, Kari. Touching 9and oh-so-convicting) for a busy mom to read it!

    I read the book, then watched the movie and passed the book on to anyone who was willing to read it.
    many hugs,
    apryl

    ReplyDelete

The best is yet to come!!